The world looks a little different through the window of a bus. Three-mile trips to the store can quickly turn into multi-hour affairs filled with missed connections and half hour waits in the rain.
This poster aims to provide Gleaners with insight on how well they are providing service to patrons that utilize public transit via the Smart Bus system.
- A 30 Minute walk time ( 1.5 miles ) was calculated.
- For each Gleaners Location:
- The closest bus stop and walking time for each bus route was calculated.
- Distances were calculated between each origin bus stop and all other bus stops on the Smart Bus network.
- Bus stops within a total 30 minute walking and transit time were selected out.
- Finally, a walking service area was calculated for each destination bus stop.
- The Gleaners location walking service areas and the Destination Bus Stops walking service areas were then merged into a single Gleaners transit service area.
- Finally this service area was put into ESRI Business Analyst to generate demographic reports.
|Owner Occupied Housing||72%||69%||68%|
|Renter Occupied Housing||87%||85%||84%|
|Between 0 – 4||75%||72%||72%|
|< $15,000 per Year||89%||88%||89%|
The Gleaners Food Pantry is well positioned for public transportation access. Seventy Two percent of the current population is within 30 minutes public transit time of a Gleaners location. All of the key demographics, except for Non-Hispanic White, are above the 70% threshold.
However, Gleaners should note the 2015 projection shows a steady decline across most variables. This is an indication that their key demographic is slowly moving out of their public transit service area.